Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dandelions and Spring Cleaning


meadow by gato-gato-gato
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License

As Spring comes closer in the Northern Hemisphere, it seems to me that a little preparation is in order. Spring on the prairie is quite lovely, and it is breathtaking to see the rolling hills fill with the various hues of greens, yellows, blues and purples of spring.

While I was Spring Cleaning (early), I came across a wonderful book that I would like to share with my Professional Learning Network.

If you want to share the feel, the look and the mood of the prairie, read Dandelions, one of my favorites. Written by Eve Bunting and illustrated by Greg Shed, Dandelions tells the story of a family who traveled from Illinois to Nebraska Territory to homestead the "grass sea" we call the prairie.

I will warn you that it is a powerful story, so you might want to have a tissue at hand.

No comments: