Thursday, October 11, 2007

Captain Kangaroo and Me!

Most people think that the time when they grew up was the best of all times, and I am no exception to that truism. I grew up with Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Greenjeans, andShari Lewis who interacted with me through the cutting age media of the time, the television. Yes, I loved the TV, but not as much as I loved books, especially those recommended by these TV friends. Because of them, I can truly say that my first love in education is the book.

I am particularly indebted to Captain Kangaroo and Magic Drawing Board for helping me develop a yearning for good books. Each day, the Captain would tell a story, from a picture book, with the help of the Magic Drawing Board. You could say that the Magic Drawing Board was the precursor of the interactive white board. Now we all can have our own Magic Drawing Board, but that is another story.

One of my favorite stories was the American picture book classic, Make Way For Ducklings, written by Robert McCloskey. This book was a Caldecott Winner. An award given, through the American Library Association, for books with the best illustrations and interaction within their story.

Make Way For Ducklings was illustrated using sepia tones, so its beauty and desirability remain timeless for the art and the story. Every child should read Make Way For Ducklings because every child wants to know that the world can be generous and so can the people in it. Plus you get to fly around New York!

This picture book, Make Way for Ducklings, can be used for recreational reading, but there are themes in the book that lend it to use in various units or projects that a teacher may be developing. There are science, social studies, and character related theme. I would suggest that you need to read this book for yourself to learn first hand what it's fine points are. You will never go wrong reading and teaching Make Way For Ducklings.

You might even be able to work out some related lessons on the Magic Drawing Board. OOOooops, I mean.....interactive white board.

No comments: