Tuesday, May 20, 2008

YouTube, Copyright and Lucacept

Are you developing lessons on Acceptable Use Practices, copyright issues, or Creative Commons? Then you may be interested in my discussion of this topic, as well as a wonderful blog posting by Jenny Luca at lucacept with her questions about the trends in copyright, education, students, the internet and teachers, YouTube and Copyright: the dilemma for educators.

Jenny ends her posting with these thoughtful questions.

I’m wondering about the future of copyright and what may happen now that user generated content is really taking off. Will we see a backlash against copyright regulations? Will we see users post their content and stipulate that it can be used and reformatted so that educators can employ it in classrooms to convey important messages? Will more people use creative commons licences to allow their work to be used easily in educational settings? Will the copyright council be able to stem the flow of infringements to the law as more and more educators realise the potential benefits of YouTube to provide useful content for classroom instruction?


This is my response, and I am responsible for my opinions and statements on this topic. Thanks go to those who prompted me to think of these topics, but they are in no way responsible for any of my opinions or statements here.

Your insightful lessons using YouTube must encourage students to upload their work [there], and this is a wonderful extension of this popular media venue into their educational life.

Thanks for the tip on downloading before the lesson. That would help prevent ruined lessons from technical malfunctions.

Hopefully, Creative Commons Copyright will become more prevalent. I use the Share-alike Copyright, in my work, and I encourage others to consider it. Even though some dispute it, teachers have permission to use work under American copyright for educational purposes.

I follow Lawrence Lessig's lessons and stories(Free Culture) on what happened when business became more important that expression.

I am all for making money, yet I agree with those who believe that family or corporate empires don't need to be maintained from one person's or group's work. For example, our new copyright laws directly favored Sonny Bono's widow (who replaced him in the US Congress, after his untimely death while on a SKI TRIP).

I am not sure why the work of Sonny Bono is more important than the work of John Phillip Sousa, but hey you never know.

Lawrence Lessig,[Stanford law professor] gives an excellent Ted speech about John Phillip Sousa's active disagreement with long copyrights. Sousa believed that we would have a more creative, richer world if people were allowed to have access to copyrighted work after a much shorter time than we have now. I agree.

Thanks for discussing this important topic.

5 comments:

jennylu said...

What an honour to be quoted on your blog. Thank you so much. You've pointed me in directions to further my learning about this vexed issue. Much appreciated.
Jenny Luca.

samccoy said...

Jenny, thanks for the nice comment. I wouldn't have had the great material to reflect on if you hadn't thought of it yourself. Glad to provide some new resources.

I have followed Lawrence Lessig's work for almost a decade now. I first saw him on Leo Laporte's TechTv show, "ScreenSavers".

That show is gone now, but Leo Laporte has a new show called the "Lab with Leo". I understand that it is shown in Australia on you DIY network.

samccoy said...

Kristin Hokanson, of The Connected Classroom, posted a very informative essay discussing another thread on current thoughts and ideas about copyright and its use by students.

I gathered from her posting that writeres should consider the way in which their new work shows a transformative nature. Kristin provides practical resources and ideas for teachers, librarians and students.

Here is the link for this conversation: The Connected Classroom: Copyright Confusion

Kristin Hokanson said...

Sam I think the BIG point is to be aware. I will be hosting a conversation at Edublogger con at NECC...Hopefully you can make it there but I will be streaming it as well. Please pass along any additional info that you find
KH

samccoy said...

Thanks, Kristin. You are so right. Be aware.

Feel free to search my Diigo bookmarks. I continue to be interested in copyright in education issues, just as I was when I was a student.

Now there are so many more primary sources on this topic, available to everyone, so studying the issue has become easier, IMHO.

I will check out your EduBloggerCon conversation. Thanks for the update. Hope to meet up next year when I am a one year old;D